Green and White Asparagus Salad
This green and white asparagus salad is a beautiful, healthy dish that makes a great side to any main course. The recipe is simple to follow and can be easily adapted to your own taste. This particular salad is one of my favorites because it's light and refreshing, but still packed with flavor.
When we're in the heart of the spring season, asparagus plays a big part on my menus. But it's a vegetable that is so versatile and delicious, there's no limit to the dishes it can be partnered alongside. It's a perfect complement to almost any main course all year round.
I have included some Mediterranean flavors into this chilled salad. The asparagus is lightly dressed with a white balsamic dressing, and the bright yellow tomatoes help this dish to stand out.
I have paired the Asparagus with fresh English peas because their flavors and textures blend well together. The Medjool dates give it that Mediterranean flair, however; it is the combination of the fresh picked celery leaves and mint leaves on top that take this salad to the next level.
This asparagus salad can be enjoyed as a side dish, or even on its own as a light lunch. If you're looking for a little more substance, you could always add grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 bunches white asparagus, peeled
- 2 bunches green asparagus
- ½ ounce white balsamic vinaigrette (See Recipe)
- 2 Medjool dates sliced lengthwise
- 1 ounce fresh picked celery leaves
- 1 ounce fresh picked mint leaves
- ½ yellow tomato quartered
- ¼ ounce fresh cooked peas
- Spanish olive oil to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare the asparagus by peeling the white asparagus first and placing them into a pot of boiling salted water; then, immerse immediately into an ice bath.
- Follow with the green asparagus, but do not peel the stems. When both of the asparagus are done, place in the cooler to chill.
- Using the same cooking liquid, cook the fresh peas and immerse them into an ice bath; reserve.
- Slice the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Pick some fresh mint and place it into a mixing bowl; then, take some fresh celery leaves and pick them as well. (Try to use the hearts of the celery leaves if possible)
- Mix the two herbs together and toss lightly with some olive oil.
- Slice the dates in half lengthwise and place them to the side.
- To bring the salad together, season the asparagus with salt and pepper and toss lightly with the white balsamic dressing.
- Place them onto a beautiful plate in the center with the yellow tomatoes on each side. Top the Asparagus with the Medjool dates, and the mixed celery and mint leaves.
- Season the peas and place them around the salad in any fashion you like.
- White asparagus can be difficult to locate at times; if you are unable to find white asparagus, you may substitute an equal amount of standard green asparagus. (Or purple asparagus would work nicely, too!)
- For an added layer of color and texture, consider toasting some sliced almonds or pine nuts and sprinkling them on top of the salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hi, I'm Jen - I write this blog and hope you will find inspiration and perhaps discover a new side of the concept of 'food' through our stories. I'm the other half of Haute Chefs. Chef Nimer makes it taste good. I make it look good. LEARN MORE HERE.